November 12, 2010

Breaking Dawn


I'm not often awake early, but when I am, I like to get industrious with breakfast!! People say that it's the most important meal of the day and yada yada (no really. It's important.) but I love it just because I think bacon&eggs is the best combination EVER! 

Here I've got an egg baked in a tomato, covered in diced bacon, with a side of a yoghurt parfait with dried cranberries and cereal.

Eggs en cocotte de tomat (An original recipe):

Ingredients
Eggs
Tomatoes
Basil
Bacon
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil

Preheat your oven to 220C. 

Carefully cut off the top of the tomatoes (I would use 1 or 2 per person) and scoop out the insides. (You don't need the insides for this, but don't waste it! I would suggest making your own ketchup. :)) Please make sure that you scoop out enough flesh - I didn't for the first one and there was egg spilling out everywhere! Put a basil leaf in the bottom on the tomato, and crack some salt and pepper into the tomato shell. Then crack an egg into it and place into an oven proof tray. (On hindsight, I would've used muffin trays, cause it was a little finicky trying to get the cooked tomatoes off the tray.)

Drizzle the filled tomatoes and tops with olive oil (don't 'cap' the tomatoes first!) and bake for about 5 min, or until just set. Then cap the tomatoes and bake for a little while longer, till the yolks are the way you want them.

While the eggs are baking, fry up some bacon.

When the tomatoes are done, serve up with yummy salty bacon!! =)



Yoghurt parfait:

Yoghurt
Cereal of your choice
Dried fruit of your choice

This one's pretty easy. I just layered thick yoghurt, dried cranberries, weetbix, and oatmeal in a washed out jar. Et voila! Simple, and I think the jar looks super cute as little serving cups. heh heh. 

The closest yoghurt to what I used would be a Greek style yoghurt (I made my own), but remember that not all yoghurts are sweetened, so taste them first! I do think though that the slight tartness of Greek yoghurts are a good foil to the sweetened dried fruit. But really, use whatever you want! =)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At November 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Cate said...

Perhaps, hopefully, I will get a chance to have a leisurely breakfast this weekend!!! Enjoy while you can!!

 
At November 12, 2010 at 10:03 PM , Anonymous Celeste @ Berrytravels said...

I really like the idea of your stuffed tomatoes! I'm always looking for new ideas on what to stuff food with, and this is amazing! I'm drooling just thinking of the possible flavours!

Amazing job.

 
At November 12, 2010 at 11:35 PM , Anonymous Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What a clever idea putting the eggs in the tomato! :o

 
At November 13, 2010 at 11:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

you need to make some for me, PRONTO.

 
At November 14, 2010 at 6:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The jars are definitely a delicate and adorable touch. You're amazing Tam!

 
At November 14, 2010 at 11:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Cate: Did you manage to get your leisurely breakfast after all?

Celeste: Thank you!! I like stuffing things too haha! I really want to do stuffed mushrooms sometime soon.

Lorraine: Thank you! I had the idea of doing a breakfast post from your blog!

Yina: If I made some, would you come visit? ;)

Anon: Thank you! =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home