January 30, 2011

Chinese New Year Festival


Chinese New Year is coming!!  For me, this time of year hails good food, visits with family, and general festivities. Going home for Chinese New Year this year isn't really an option for me, so Sean and I decided to check out what Sydney had to offer.

There were Chinese New Year markets at the park at Eddy Avenue, and man, was it bustling with people.



Besides the main stage,  there were food stalls, souvenir stores, and even various people dressed up to usher in the Year of the Rabbit! 




 There was even a very eco-friendly sculpture - a giant rabbit made out of plastic PET bottles!


There was also a store by Hubei artists, and they were giving away free artwork. 


  But on to the most important bit - the food!!! Sean and I ordered a little something each, Kway Teow Goreng for me, and Beef Rendang for him.


The Kway Teow Goreng  (Fried flat noodles - $8 for small, $10 for large) was decent, but nothing to scream about. But what it did lack in flavour, the sambal made up for it!


This spicy mouthful of flavours made me miss home. I'd already piled it on, but by the end of the meal, I wished that I'd taken more.

It's so hard to find good chilli nowadays.

Sean's beef rendang also had good flavour. It was milder than I'm used to, but I'm pretty sure that authenticity wasn't the goal here. It's still better than I expected, and it was still a very good night.


If you're keen, there's still one more day to catch it! The park's on the Eddy Avenue side of Central Station, and the last day of the Chinese New Year Markets is today (31st Jan '11) from 11am to 10pm.

Let me know what you think!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At January 30, 2011 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Mel said...

Happy CNY! Glad you guys found something to do and hopefully you're a little less homesick.

 
At January 31, 2011 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mel: Hey!! I don't think I'll ever be less homesick - how can I ever not think about the food??!! =)

 
At February 1, 2011 at 9:59 AM , Anonymous Simon @ the heart of food said...

Those blue rabbit guys were creepy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home