July 12, 2011

Mappen, Sydney

P7076149

"Heaven...I'm in Heaven...And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak..."
Berlin, I. (1935) Cheek to Cheek

I do believe that I have found noodle heaven for foodies on a budget! I know I'm a little (or a lot!) late to the scene, but Mappen is an absolute dream come true in its simplicity.

The concept is simple. Decide what main you'd like to have, order, add sides (or not!) and pay. It's so simple it's almost poetic in my book.

P7076164

The place is always busy, and gives a feel of a cramped, bustling noodle bar, but I assure you that efficiency beats so strongly at the heart of it that you won't be put out. They feed you with such conveyor belt-type flow that it feels like the perfect place for a eat-and-run lunch.

Signs on every table encourage you not to grab tables without food, but that almost-counter-intuitive move - for what if I should have a tray full of food and no seat? - near-guarantees you a seat when you do have your food.

P7076158

Since people only sit when their order is ready, their time with the table starts immediately, eradicating the "dawdle while deciding" crowds that seem to happen otherwise. The result, you get your food, you get fed, you leave.

Genius.

And the food? Amazing. Laura and I had an early lunch there earlier this week.

P7076156

I had a hot Ontama Bukkake - don't snigger! I know you people ;) - with Udon, and Laura had the Soba version.

P7076151

It's basically noodles in soup. It's that simple. We had a wedge of lemon to squeeze over the top, and a creamy, dreamy soft boiled egg.

P7076157

Look at all that eggy goodness. /drools

The savoury noodles had the citrusy zing of lemon threaded through the strands, and oozy yolk giving them a bright orange coating.

Yum.

And those sides?

Well I got a Prawn Tempura.

P7076154

No surprises, no fireworks, just what you would expect - crispy batter, and prawn that isn't overcooked. It's lunch that makes you feel good after - not weighed down, not still wanting - and for me anyway, brightens my day.

Oh, and I haven't mentioned the price have I? My Ontama Bukkake was a regular size and was $4.90! Friggin' $4.90 lunch IN THE CITY! That's partially what gets me so excited about the place. Are the portions overflowing? No. But they are good value - I chose the Prawn Tempura ($2.50) cause I was greedy, but I could very well do without. Sean's favourite - Sweet Potato Tempura - is only $0.80, and while I've considered making it at home, I think it's well worth the price if you are in the city and need some hot food.

Mappen is somewhere that consistently gives me a good, cheap option (I'm not a fan of fast food) smack in the middle of the city. One downside though, it's not exactly a great source of your 5-fruit-and-veg, since the veggie options are either small or battered and fried. I just bring fruit with me to munch on during the day, and have that while walking to my next destination.

We ate at:

Mappen
11/537-551 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000
(02) 9283 5525

Menya Mappen on Urbanspoon


View Larger Map

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At July 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM , Blogger muppy said...

Wow, what a bargain and it looks delicious.

 
At July 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cheap!! And even with the lack of non-fried veggies the food looks healthy.

 
At July 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM , Anonymous Lil said...

Mmm, I love the cheap and fast food here!!
The egg is the best!
Definitely beats fastfood outlets.
Even if you don't get ALL the nutrients,
At least you know what you're getting isn't powdered beef patty or something odd.

 
At July 12, 2011 at 5:58 PM , Anonymous Adrian (Food Rehab) said...

Eggy goodness indeed! I want! Diggin the poster LOL

 
At July 13, 2011 at 7:47 AM , Anonymous Tina @ bitemeshowme said...

I love coming here for lunch. What a quick, easy, delicious AND afforable feed!

 
At July 13, 2011 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Mel said...

You went without me, and had a lady date with Laura...without me? I'm gutted! I take it though you'll be keen for a revist at some point in time.

 
At July 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

muppy: It is! It's my happy place haha.

lateraleating: It's relatively healthy - some soup and not much oil involved. Even with the fried veggies I don't think it's that bad. =)

Lil: haha, I never thought about that but it's so true. For those type of prices you don't often get 'real food', and usually end up with something over processed!

Adrian: That poster is hilarious! I think it starts out the experience of the cramped noodle bar though. Too cute.

Tina: Isn't it amazing that on a halfhour lunch break you can still get in and out?

MissPiggy: Hey, I asked on Twitter! =) Of course I'm keen for a revisit! When's good for you?

 
At July 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM , Anonymous Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

Great pics! Sunch an awesome cheap meal at Mappen :)

 
At July 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM , Blogger sugarpuffi said...

bwahahhaha i had an ontama bukkake just last week from mappen. and yes, it was really awkward ordering it :P *chortles*

 
At July 23, 2011 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Laura said...

it was so tasty, i loved it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home