May 06, 2011

Mamak, Sydney

P4295452

I have had my first Mamak experience!!! I've tried to go there before, but the extraordinary queues have always brought out the procrastination monster in me.

But no longer!!

With the lovely Miss Piggy keeping me company both in the queue and the meal, I can proudly say that I've eaten at Mamak.

P4295456


Miss Piggy ordered the Roti Canai, which came in a fluffy, crispy ball. How cute is that?

P4295462

I ordered the Roti Planta, which is something firmly entrenched in my childhood. The Planta bit at least. Planta is this kind of margarine that is widely used in Southeast Asia, and I remember the local Kopitiam (Coffeeshop) serving up crispy-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside toasted white bread that is slathered with Planta and Kaya - which is a spread that is made from egg yolks and coconut and HEAPS of sugar.

But back to the Roti Planta. It fired off heaps of memories, but the texture of the roti left something to be desired. For me at least. It still is the closest that I've come to what I find at home, but there's just a little bit of chewy lightness that I need from Roti for it to really hit the spot for me.

P4295458

Miss Piggy and I had the Rojak to share. This one was a bit of a surprise to me - Rojak in my mind is chunks of ingredients covered in a salty sorta fermented shrimp sauce.

In it's own way, it was a really nice dish. The julienned cucumber and radish offered a refreshing crunch, and it was all covered in a reddish peanut sauce. Nice enough to finish, but it sort of left me a little bit puzzled as to what rojak is. Considering that the word rojak literally means "salad", this dish is well within the range of expectations.

In all, my Mamak experience was quite good, and I'm really excited to go back sometime soon and try the other dishes.

We ate at:

Mamak
15 Goulburn Street
Haymarket NSW 2000
(02) 9211 1668

Mamak on Urbanspoon



View Larger Map

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At May 6, 2011 at 8:38 AM , Blogger muppy said...

yum, i really want to try that roti! i've never been to mamak.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 9:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it to Mamak, I was a latecomer, too, and really liked it.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM , Anonymous chocolatesuze said...

ooh dont think ive had the roti planta at mamak before im intrigued!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM , Anonymous Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

Lovely pics :) Congrats on making it in to Mamak! :D

 
At May 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM , Blogger sugarpuffi said...

cant believe u JUST tried mamak! *gasp* yeah the queues turns me off sometimes~but lunch is a bit manageable though. oh and they dont charge for take away!

 
At May 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

muppy: you so should go!! Definitely go with someone though - that queue is a bit overwhelming on your own.

Gabby: tee hee, thank you! I have the lovely Miss Piggy to thank for that.

Tina: Thank you!

Betty: I know, right? I wish I could go for lunch - but I work too far away!! Do you think I could call ahead and then take away? =)

 
At May 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM , Blogger Mel said...

Roti Canai *wipes drool from face*. I'd give anything to be able to duck up to Mamak on a cold day like today and have it for lunch.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home