November 16, 2010

B&B: Beef and Beer


I won a beef and beer masterclass at Mumu Grill with my crazy hat at the food bloggers' picnic, and I finally managed to attend it! I had such a ball of a time, and of course, had fab food. 


Head chef Craig Macindoe sharing all his precious meat information with us! He talked about the difference between grass-fed and grain-fed beef, and all the different cuts.We even got to participate in the kitchen!! How awesome is that? He also shared his top tip when it came to cooking the meat (besides picking good meat) - don't touch it! Apparently too many cooks keep turning the steak on the barbecue and completely massacre what could have been a really juicy steak.

And speaking of juicy meat, LUNCH!! For lunch that day, we had a variety of dishes, and they were all cooked with such precision






I don't think I got a picture of everything, but we had a garlic and rosemary T-bone, a prosciutto-wrapped steak, a Szechuan pepper and coffee crusted steak and...


THE RIBS!!!

These ribs were first cooked in salted boiling water, before it was glazed with a tangy barbecue sauce and browned on the barbecue. Mmmmm...everything was falling off the bone and just so so tasty!! Definitely my favourite.

And just to reiterate the point about perfectly cooked steak:


Just look at that gorgeous, juicy, medium rare. I'm hungry again!!

And of course, the beer.


I feel so bad that I went to the beef and beer masterclass and well, I can't drink beer. In fact, I get severe headaches and nausea whenever I drink alcohol. =( But I did learn however, that you always drink beer in a glass because the aroma is a lot of the flavour as well, and the many different kinds of craft beers are worth paying for and trying. If you want to find out more about the beer bit of it, the man who led the discussion in the beer part of the masterclass is Dan from Beersnobs. He's very affable and easy to understand (especially for someone who doesn't know anything about beers), and ladies, it helps that he's quite easy on the eyes. ;)

And to end of this post, I shall leave you with the Bambi that greeted me at the door.


MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Mumu Grill
94606877
70 Alexander Street, Crows Nest
www.mumugrill.com.au


View Larger Map

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At November 16, 2010 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Mel said...

Oooo - those Ribs look tasty! I have to confess I constantly turn my steaks on the BBQ much to my boyfriend's disgust! I'm not a huge fan of beer either - I like to drink it with lemonade and it's pretty embarrassing as that's how old ladies at bowling clubs like to drink their beer!

 
At November 17, 2010 at 10:39 AM , Anonymous My Restaurants Melbourne said...

great write up, looks like a fabulous class you attended. and thumbs up to the bambi at the front door!!

 
At November 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

MelbaToast: lol! I've never heard of drinking beer with lemonade - is it any better? At least you can have a beer!! =) And yes, those ribs were so sexy.

My restaurants Melbourne: Isn't Bambi just adorable?

 
At November 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Mel said...

I think it's better - it's called a Shandy. But, if beer doesn't agree with your tummy it probably wouldn't make a difference. It really is an old ladies drink though!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home