July 03, 2010

Chomp Chomp


Chomp Chomp Hawker Centre is one of the places that I absolutely have to visit when I come back to Singapore. This bustling eatery is just bursting with all sorts of sinful pleasures. The moment I hit the pavement just outside the centre, it hooks it's fragrant fingers around me and just draw me in like a moth to a flame.

The barbequed stingray (see above) is my favourite, with hot sambal and tangy chinchalok to accompany soft white flesh. If I had to give up all else, this is one thing that I would not be able (or willing to) let go.


At $1 each, these chicken wings are an absolute steal. They are first marinated, then slowly cooked over smoking charcoal. A squeeze of lime gives it a tangy exterior and the chilli packs such a punch that it hits you like a two tonne truck. Heaven.


The fried prawn noodles is another local favourite. A mixture of noodles is fried with a variety of seafood, and served with lime and chilli (not to be confused with the chilli that goes with other dishes). Soft noodles are so full of flavour, and everything just works together to give you an explosion in your mouth.


And satay. As it should be. The meat is marinated in a mixture of spices, including tumeric, and it is served with a peanut sauce on the side. And how to tell that it's a good sauce? Pineapple pulp sitting smack in the centre, waiting to be stirred in with the peanut sauce. Skewers of chicken, pork or mutton sit merrily on the same plate, waiting to be devoured. Pork's a personal favourite of mine, but if you're lard conscious you might want to try the chicken instead.

I so need to get there again soon.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home