February 27, 2012

Korean Style Tofu

P2268004


I feel like I haven't posted a recipe in AGES! Kinda shows you how much cooking that I've been proud of lately, lol.

Anyway, I had some tofu left over from a fried noodle attempt - I simply cannot fry noodles properly, I don't know why - and I decided to have it over rice for lunch today!

Feeling thoroughly inspired by the Korean cooking class that I attended - thank you Korean Cultural Office! - I thought that I could probably do something similar with tofu that I can do with the chicken. So I present to you:

Korean Style Tofu on Rice
Preparation: 5-10 min
Cooking: 10 min


For the sauce:
2 cloves Garlic
2-3 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
2-3 tbsp Glucose
2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
1-2 tsp Kochukaru (Korean Chilli Flakes)
1-2 tsp sesame seed oil

Hard tofu
Rice
Thinly sliced spring onion

Cut up the tofu into bite sized pieces. I happen to have mine cut on the small side because it was originally for fried noodles, but feel free to have it in as large or as little a piece as you'd like. Then set it in a single layer on some paper towel to drain.

P2267988

Next, lightly oil a pan and give the tofu a light fry, just till it's golden brown.

To make the sauce:

P2267991

Heat the sesame seed oil in a pan over medium heat. Lightly fry off the garlic. It's to get rid of the rawness, but the garlic should not be browned! Add the rest of the ingredients, in no particular order, and reduce the sauce till slightly thickened. The sauce will thicken slightly upon standing, so the way I look at it is to cook the sauce down till you can "draw lines" on the pan with a wooden chopstick.

P2267997a

And you're all ready! Just cook some rice and pile on the tofu, and drizzle with the sauce. Top with finely sliced spring onion and serve.

P2268005a

This is an extremely quick and easy recipe using pantry ingredients, assuming that you have a relatively Asian pantry. Great for a quick, light lunch and a fantastic vegetarian option. If you prefer slightly crispier tofu, skip the draining process and coat in sweet potato flour before frying.

Definitely one of my comfort foods. How about you? What are your favourite comfort foods?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At February 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM , Anonymous julie said...

YUM looks so simple :D glad to see you are back!

 
At March 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

=) =) Thanks Julie!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home