November 18, 2010

Being Cheesy


So, after raving about the cheese bread in my review of Braza, I was inspired to try making them!

I got the recipe from this page, and tweaked it just a little because I kinda ran out of flour halfway. *sheepish*

Brazillian Cheese Bread (from allrecipes.com)

1/2 cup olive oil or butter
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup milk or soy milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups tapioca (arrowroot) flour (I mixed it in with some cornflour cause I ran out of tapioca flour)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 beaten eggs
 
Preheat your oven to 190C (375F)
 
Put all the wet ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Please use a saucepan that's big enough to incorporate all the ingredients - it's like making chioux pastry, you will add the other ingredients into this pan. 

Once it comes to the boil, take the pan off the heat. Stir in the flour, garlic and salt till well combined. Rest for 15 minutes. 

After resting, stir in the eggs and cheese, until well combined. It'll be a bit lumpy, and for me, it was just a bit thicker than a successful chioux batter.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased, lined baking try (it's going to practically fry in its own oil) and chuck into the oven till golden brown. 

And voila!



It's pretty close to what I had, except that mine was had slightly more texture to it - not enough liquid maybe? Sean says that he prefers the crispier outside though, so it all worked out! The inside was also lovely, squishy and chewy, so that's perfect for me. It's so moreish too!! Be careful when you make it - I would suggest a double batch cause you'll just end up snacking on the first batch while waiting for the rest to come out of the oven!!


Great for parties for sure. :D:D

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At November 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM , Blogger Mel said...

Glad you found a recipe to try at home (and that it worked out too). If you come to the bloggers X-mas party you could make a plate of these so we can all have a try - or I could have a try, as nothing I cook at home actually works!

 
At November 18, 2010 at 11:57 AM , Anonymous My Restaurants Melbourne said...

They looks so cheesy and moist, cooked well.I don't have much success with breads and sweet buns.

 
At November 18, 2010 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

MelbaToast: Oh I'm definitely making some for the bloggers' xmas party! Are you going too? Looking forward to seeing you there!! I'll make some for sure.

My Restaurants Melbourne: These are so easy though! Just mix 'em up and plop them in the oven. You should try it - it's fool-proof!

 
At November 18, 2010 at 9:21 PM , Blogger Mel said...

Hi Tambourine - yes I'll be there. It'll be good to put some faces to all the blogs I'm reading. I'm not a very good cook, so I'll bring along something yummy from a local bakery.

 
At November 20, 2010 at 11:49 AM , Anonymous Julie said...

YUM! need to try this! I heart cheese ;)

and i agree with melbatoast please make some for the bloggers picnic!

 
At November 20, 2010 at 1:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Melba Toast: aww. I refuse to believe that you aren't a good cook - I'm not that great either! But it's nice to have an audience to try. =)

Julie: Who doesn't heart cheese! Yep I'll make different flavoured ones. Original, Cheese and Chives, and Smoked Paprika sound ok to you?

 
At January 2, 2011 at 1:05 AM , Anonymous Jess Chow said...

Hey Tammi, where'd you find tapioca flour? I'm interested in trying out this recipe.

Cheers,
Jess

 
At January 2, 2011 at 7:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Jess: Asian stores have them. It'll be next to the potato starch. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home