January 22, 2014

Sydney Festival 2014, Hyde Park

IMG_0453
The Boss, $8, from Woofy's

Okay, I must admit: I'm not much of a festival goer. I try my best to stay indoors for as much as possible, and the only reason I'd ever head outdoors is when I have to go somewhere, or where there's food.

Which is why I was drawn to Festival Village in Hyde Park, as part of Sydney Festival 2014. Gelato Messina serving up carnival themed wacky treats you say? I'm there.

Sometimes you need a bit of savoury to go with the sweet. Or rather a savoury to prelude the sweet.

Or any reason to get a hot dog.
woofylayout
Woofy's Gourmet Sausage Sizzle had a stall there selling their gourmet hotdogs. The idea is that the base sausage is the same - Angus Beef - and you get to choose your toppings. The hotdog was satisfying and filling enough, but the two guys who were manning the stall over the late lunch period didn't look particularly happy to be there. So, for $8 a pop, I could take it or leave it.

But now, for the pièce de résistance.

messinalayout

For weeks now I've been taunted tempted by my friends' posts about Gelato Messina's incredibly creative and intriguing carnival sweet treats. Pluto pup made with ice cream and pancake batter? Red skin and banana flavoured gelato lollipop? Duck fat caramel fudge on a caramel cheesecake gelato? BACON MARSHMALLOWS??!!

YES PLEASE!

messinalayout2
Top row: Messinaweiner (Plutopup) $9
Bottom row, from left: Samurai Fairy Balls, $7, So Wrong It's Right, $9, Gelatofee Apples, $7, Eyescream Lollipops, $7

So my dining partner was gallantly dragged into ordering five desserts to share with me. The Messinaweiner was a hot (no pun intended!) favourite, with it's pancake batter coated maple syrup gelato. The pancake batter added a kind of moreishness to it, but to be really honest I couldn't really tell that the gelato was maple syrup and the sauce was plum-flavoured. It made for a delicious bite, but I was envisioning slightly more discernible flavours in my head. The Eyescream Lollipop was the most recognisable, and every bite screamed out Redskins to me. The pop rocks weren't quite popping, but the bites were still delicious and easy to finish. I wanted the So Wrong, It's Right to be right so badly, but unfortunately it didn't quite hit the mark. Once again I couldn't really discern all the flavours that were meant to be there - duck fat caramel, bacon marshmallow etc - but it really could be that my tastebuds were still rioting in protest to all the sugar. The Gelatofee Apples were a really creative take on traditional toffee apples, and the refreshing green apple gelato providing great balance to the creamy milk chocolate. The surprise gelato for me came in the form of the Samurai Fairy Balls, which had a yuzu popsicle hidden underneath a mound of pink fairy floss. I do wish there was a way to incorporate all of it in a single bite - we ate through most of the fairy floss before we got to the yuzu sorbet, which was foot stompingly tart and actually needed a bit of the sugar to temper it - but I really did enjoy the citrus kick of the yuzu sorbet.

In all, Gelato Messina took us on a crazy sugar-fueled roller coaster ride that left us in a sugar coma afterward. Two lessons to learn: Don't order 5 frozen treats all at once to finish on a balmy warm night, and maybe it's a good idea to space out that much sugar over a longer time frame.

If you'd like to grab your Gelato Messina fix, or enjoy the rest of the attractions at Sydney Festival 2014, it will be on till the 26th, so head on down to Hyde Park after 4:30pm, except for Mondays.


View Larger Map

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At January 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This all looks sooooooooo good, especially as I'm sitting here having salad and tuna for lunch in the office. Diets SUCK.....but the things we do to be able to enjoy such great things on the weekends as foodies :)

I really need to get my butt to Gelato Messina as I seem to be the only person in Sydney that hasn't been yet. Such fun eats too!

 
At January 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM , Anonymous Julie said...

woohoo at the 5 desserts between 2 :)! I love the sound of the yuzu one!

 
At January 23, 2014 at 12:02 AM , Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

The Messinaweiner looks like so much fun. Great to see such a fresh approach to carnival snacks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home